Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:59 pm

My wee little tach arrived and fab'd up the mount today. I was going to wire it tonight but my oldest wants to assist, so I'll do it tomorrow and get some pics. I picked up the sheet steel (16ga) to use for the speedo mount but I'm waiting on the RAM universal cell mount, before I start finalizing my prototype. With how challenging it was to make my little tach mount, I may find a local place to plasma cut the speedo mount; since this is going to be more complex.

I had hoped to sync the carbs this weekend but I can only find 2 of the tubes for the fancy electronic balancer and the replacement bottle of magic blue juice for the Motion Pro balancer is MIA. I ordered the fluid and the mount from Revzilla, as well as bottle of Motul MotoWash. I've never washed a motorcycle but I'd like to start clean with this one so I can find any (additional) leaks that pop up. Plus, I'm kinda tired of getting fucking filthy doing minor jobs. With a fork rebuild and a swing arm replacement coming up, it will be nice to not have to deal with all of the gunk.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:36 am

Agreed on the cleaning, it’ll have plenty of time to get filthy as you put miles on it, but cleaning it as thoroughly as possible prior to working on it is so nice.
I doubt I could get it to you in a reasonable amount of time but I have an old aluminum handicap parking sign kicking around in my garage, probably 4mm thick if you wanted it. But I am 800 miles away from my garage and have no idea when I will see it again.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:36 am
Agreed on the cleaning, it’ll have plenty of time to get filthy as you put miles on it, but cleaning it as thoroughly as possible prior to working on it is so nice.
I doubt I could get it to you in a reasonable amount of time but I have an old aluminum handicap parking sign kicking around in my garage, probably 4mm thick if you wanted it. But I am 800 miles away from my garage and have no idea when I will see it again.
Thanks for the offer but no worries. I have a few signs I've *cough* found, laying around. I might make some sort of skid plate out of one of them in the future. But I have more important mods to do first (top case, hand guards and etc).

I'm good on plates, I have a few coming from Eagle and uh... another ootmik from the Denver area (can't remember his board name but Chewbacca Kinevel on FB).

Got the tach wired up to cylinder 4 today, easy peasy and works well enough for my needs. I'm less concerned about my revs while riding, really just need it for tuning purposes. At first I was kinda disappointed I didn't get the one with a backlight (it's apparently random) but I"m glad I didn't. It would just be another gauge reflecting in my eyes at night.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 am

Progress continues!

I have my dashboard created, using a piece of 16ga steel, RAM cell mount, and an old waterproof Android phone running Ulysse app. I added some LED indicator lights on the top tab, and put a USB outlet on the backside. It should all be nicely covered with a little fly screen. The heated grips and all wiring (besides headlight, taillight and signals) is complete. Used some perforated aluminum to make side panels. It's starting to come together.

Might be road worthy, and legal by the end of summer!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:05 am

And moar progress!

I wired up the LED oval trailer light, new signals and made a temp bracket for the plate holder. The signals and trailer light are super bright, and the signals have a dual function as brake lights.

IMG_20200719_143652.jpg
IMG_20200718_231737.jpg
I'm really happy with out it all turned out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Ordering the headlight and front signals this week. A fellow Hurricane owner sold me a piece of pure 80's vibe, in the form of a Lockhart windscreen made of the finest fluorescent pink lexan (plexi glass?)! I have moved beyond good taste at this point and I'm loving every bit of it.

However....

My garage is a fucking mess right now. We spent last weekend cleaning out our shed and made room for the junk from the garage. This will allow me to move my whole work bench set up to the wall that is parallel with the overhead door. With that moved, I should be able to park my SUV in the garage during the nasty months, as well as make room for any future moto purchases.

Lots to do this weekend so I can even get to my bike to finish up the wiring.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-