COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: COVID-19 AND INTERESTING TIMES

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:47 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 pm
As for me, I am marathon-ing all of the Terminator films.
If I may make a recommendation.
Show
If you haven't yet seen Terminator: Genisys.
Fast forward through all that nonsense set in the far future. And what's left is the single most hilarious homage to/satire of 1980s b-movie action flics. I laughed out loud.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:14 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:47 am
Bigshankhank wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 pm
As for me, I am marathon-ing all of the Terminator films.
If I may make a recommendation.
Show
If you haven't yet seen Terminator: Genisys.
Fast forward through all that nonsense set in the far future. And what's left is the single most hilarious homage to/satire of 1980s b-movie action flics. I laughed out loud.
Didn’t make it to Genisys, got to the one with Batman and Chekov and were falling asleep.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 am

FYI, for those wanting to make their own masks:

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/

and

https://freesewing.org/blog/facemask-frenzy/

I'm in contact with the Supply Chain mgmt at work. Once the Infection Prevention Dept has guidelines on materials, I will pass the info along. I plan on spinning up a few using the recommendations in the first link.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:05 am

Get your butt to the craft store or wherever if you want to make these with elastic bands. They're sold out around here. However, there are some DIY alternatives: 1. Bungee Cord 2. Thin Craft elastic cord 3. Long Flat hair-ties 4. Scavenge fitted bed sheets and other elastic.

Managed to get all my supplies but the elastic, that's the next stop. I did find some industrial nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 pm

I'm not an expert, but from what I read, cloth masks only purpose is to prevent a sick person to spit or spread the virus around. As a sane person, it will probably not protect you (depending on the texture but most probably not), and once soaked with condensed water from breathing, they're a nest for various infection and diseases. and they're only reusable if sterilized between every use. they're probably only necessary where sick people cannot be provided with paper masks, not for non contaminated persons to wear and walk around. (extra style points for the people that i see wearing gloves and masks as they are driving alone in their own car).
Last edited by xtian on Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not really from around here.

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:16 am

A friend of mine quipped:

If you don't 'qualify' for testing, just cough in a rich person's face and wait for their test results.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

red

Post by red » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:26 am

xtian wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 pm
I'm not an expert, but from what I read, cloth masks only purpose is to prevent a sick person to spit or spread the virus around. As a sane person, it will probably not protect you (depending on the texture but most probably not), and once soaked with condensed water from breathing, they're a nest for various infection and diseases. and they're only reusable if sterilized between every use. they're probably only necessary where sick people cannot be provided with paper masks, not for non contaminated persons to wear and walk around. (extra style points for the people that i see wearing gloves and masks as they are driving alone in their own car).
Most hospitals will accept them as they truly are better than nothing. The CDC and other health organizations have stated that even a clean bandanna is better than an uncovered face. Our washer has a sterilize setting, I'll have to research out hot it gets and whether or not that will nuke this little fucker. I would think the detergent would break down their outer fatty layer.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:28 am

Possibly useful diagnostic metric: do you smell?
Yes, yes, dog with no nose. But as @Jaeger dug up, someone unable to smell vinegar and/or onions may have Coronavirus. Clicky.
Elsewhere, I recently saw a joke about medieval aristocrats instructing their servants to make with the perfume, just like these days, many people appear to prefer having a mask to washing their hands. Curious.

On the epidemiological front, the Robert-Koch-Institute is estimating that, at this point, there are up to 10 million infected people in Germany.
There are 148 confirmed cases in my city. Youngest is a 9 y.o., oldest is 78.
Twenty five. THOUSAND. Euro fines for not socially distancing
Show
In many cities and regions, anyone found outside of their home must provide a compelling reason for their presence. Medical reasons (doctor's appointment, pharmacy run, etc.), grocery runs, or going to work (when telecommuting is not possible) are generally considered okay.
In my state, in public, it is now prohibited to get closer than 6 feet to any person one doesn't cohabit with. And no more than two cohabiting persons may be in public together.
Violations may be prosecuted as a misdemeanor, with a fine up to €25,000 (yes, 25k), or as a crime, punishable with up to 5 years imprisonment. They are not fucking about.
There isn't really such a thing as a minimum sentence here in Germany, at least not like it is with some things in the US. But the entities bringing charges against violators are ordered to levy fines of no less than €200.

There is a lot of talk about the constitutionality of a general curfew. The general consensus appears to be that a general curfew would be illegal, even under the present circumstances. So a whole thesaurus worth of alternative names are used for the measures that are being implemented.
Decided this is as good a time as any, or perhaps even a better time than any, to learn how to sew.
Show
I have a sewing machine, specifically so I can fix my own pants, but you don't wanna know what that looks like.
I also have some spare fabric, some denim for pants-reinforcement, and some... well, I's a textile, I think with some polyester in it, but that's all I know about it.
Thanks for posting the patterns, @red!
Requiring elastic was as good an excuse to hit the grocery store around the corner as any.
They are finally taking this seriously. The carts are off the chain!
Show
As of Friday (or maybe even Saturday), they had had no special precautions, other than a note explaining the rationing of paper products and certain food staples. Nobody was wearing gloves, nor respirators. I could choose between the shopping cart, that is chained up until you insert a coin, a plastic chip, or a special tool (cart theft is a whole different magnitude here where people live within walking distance of the store), or the plastic basket.

As of today, every customer, no exceptions, MUST take a cart, and those carts are off the chain. I guess that, besides anything else, the carts enforce a safe distance in the checkout line. A store employee, with a mask and gloves, was disinfecting every cart that was being returned. A woman tried to go into the store without a cart and, when challenged by the cartmeister, claimed she only wanted to buy a carton of milk. Nope. No exceptions.
At the entrance itself, there are posted two notices.
Show
One, in the fancy layout of official grocery-store-chain material, with only a white box where a number was added in sharpie. This notice informed anyone, in large but not friendly letters, that by official decree, no more than 50 customers were allowed into the store at any time.
I doubt I've ever seen 40 people in there, I think this one was really just going through the motions.
The other notice was a photocopy on A4, informing anyone coming close enough to read it that, if a customer has the sniffles, a cough, or any of the other relevant symptoms, that customer should please come back another day. And are in fact prohibited from stepping inside.
Inside, a few things were back in stock, a few weren't. While not wholly cautious, they were trying to be clever, too.
Show
I could have cleared out a few shelves, or sections thereof, but decided against it.
At the checkout, the lady was wearing gloves and a respirator, finally. Not everyone walking around, stacking shelves in a staff sweater was, though.
They had used one of those things loaded with bottled water to block off an aisle, which funneled customers to the checkout so that the shopping cart would ensure the safe distance between customers. Now that they are being cautious, they are being smart about some of it. Nice.
Right now, those purchases which I had to disinfect by liberal application of isopropyl are drying off.
Once they are done with that, I will see what important component for my makeshift-mask project I spaced on in the store today.
I actually have a plan for ensuring my masks will protect, rather than infect, the wearer
Show
According to the WHO website, while it doesn't like temperatures higher than 37°C (average healthy human body temp), the COVID virus stops liking or disliking anything at temperatures above 56°C, above which it is destroyed. Soap also destroys it. So a good wash at 60°C (140°F) should eradicate the virus, while the drying at 70°C (158°F) should eradicate sloppy seconds, and handling everything with disposable gloves and bagging each mask should round off the process.
I got a box of TSA-regulation ziplock bags, the interior of which I assume to be sterile.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Okay, got a lot of cutting to do.

EDIT: and now that I'm a cuttin', I found my mistake. The darker stuff is denim, and, well... :lol: :Jeez:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:15 am

So I am now entering the next stage of this (I'm not ill, I mean the next stage metaphorically speaking). I have four major issues going on, outside of COVID-19.
- Finishing my MBA
- Starting new major project
- Continuing home remodel work
- Working out of town

The MBA. I am in my last session for this which entails writing a 25+ page capstone paper. I have a topic lined up, I know the professor who will evaluate it and he loves me, and I am a prolific writer. One would think that social distancing and isolation would be the perfect time to knock something like this out.
Starting major project/Working out of town is where the real bugabear comes out. This project is in Nashville, which is a fine town but is also 750 miles from home. Through a series of logistic hurdles I moved a travel trailer on loan from my sister and brother-in-law from Texas up here and set it up on site. Along with it came a decent Yamaha Rhino UTV. Overall it is too heavy for my 4Runner to tow but other than moving it around on the jobsite I shouldn't have to move it much. Well, there are a few problems with that statement. What was promised to be a good condition trailer where everything works has devolved in to a significant roof leak which in turn rotted the bed, a non-working generator, the LPG setup isn't flowing and I can't get the UTV started to move it outside. In addition, there is no water nor sewer on site (both of which had been scheduled to be available weeks ago but weather in the areas has shut most work down) so coupled with not having power I decided to haul it to a local RV spot. I could tow the trailer itself with my 4Runner but since I can't get the UTV started and pull it out the back, the additional 1500# makes that too much to handle.
Continuing home remodel is the least of my worries, but its in there nonetheless. My wife has taken on a tremendous amount of this work but it has been stressful for her and due to me having to work and to surmount the logistical hurdles that this move put on me I havent been able to contribute much. So things aren't getting done which then demoralizes the wife and she gets even less done and lather-rinse-repeat.
I dunno, bitch bitch bitch I guess. I could probably manage all of this without the sword of damocles dangling over my head in the form a global fucking pandemic but ya know I can't seem to turn a blind eye to that one. Still I find myself frozen almost, unable to focus, suddenly overwhelmed at continuing to struggle to turn the RV in to a reliable and comfortable place to sleep (I've been staying at a hotel lately and its getting pricey) all while knowing that considering what COVID is doing to international shipping and manufacturing I am not going to be able to really work anyway, at least not beyond the point of material shortages which will be coming soon. Worried about my wife not just because of potential illness but also just her mental well-being not to mention mine, being lonely in a time when I should be huddled together close to the ones I love, and the sum effect of all this stress and uncertainty blocking my mental processes from writing this paper and completing two years worth of work on this degree.
I gotta find a way to focus again.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:33 pm

Well shit...

The Mrs started showing some symptoms. Family doc wants her to self isolate and monitor symptoms/temp, presume exposure. I was working at the Data Center but now I'm WFH. Doc said as long as I am asymptomatic, and wear a mask, I can go out only if absolutely necessary.

I'm willing to bet my boss/HR says I have to get tested. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised. One of our board members has been exposed and at least one other person from my building (night shift though). Where I have been deploying phones for a massive call center, more than a few people had a suspiciously dry cough. I washed my mitts and kept my distance but maybe we're beyond that stage now. Hell, we're probably all carrying it around here.

Anywho.... I'll keep you all informed.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 am

So much for making myself useful with the sewing.
Woke up all flu-like. Limb and joint aches, phlegmy cough. If I had fever earlier, I don't have it anymore. I'd prefer if I hadn't had any at all, of course.

Sense of smell is intact, and most warnings about the COVID I've seen involved dry cough. So there is that.

Self isolation. Monitor symptoms. Call my GP if anything changes, and her office will call me if they have new instructions.

FUCK. I wash hands and disinfect them and any stuff I bring in like a motherfucker. I triple glove before going outside, and I wear an FFP3 respirator, approved for work with persons quarantined for viral infections.
And yet, I still managed to pick up a bug. Second fucking time. Pretty certainly not the same bug as two weeks ago.
FAAAAAAAAACK.

red

Post by red » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 am
So much for making myself useful with the sewing.
Woke up all flu-like. Limb and joint aches, phlegmy cough. If I had fever earlier, I don't have it anymore. I'd prefer if I hadn't had any at all, of course.

Sense of smell is intact, and most warnings about the COVID I've seen involved dry cough. So there is that.

Self isolation. Monitor symptoms. Call my GP if anything changes, and her office will call me if they have new instructions.

FUCK. I wash hands and disinfect them and any stuff I bring in like a motherfucker. I triple glove before going outside, and I wear an FFP3 respirator, approved for work with persons quarantined for viral infections.
And yet, I still managed to pick up a bug. Second fucking time. Pretty certainly not the same bug as two weeks ago.
FAAAAAAAAACK.

Sorry to hear that. Keep us up to date.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 am

red wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:17 am
Sorry to hear that. Keep us up to date.
Thank you. Will do.
Update: ~10 hours later, still no fever. I have decided to move ahead with my sewing project regardless. I've already cut half of the patterns, and I had been meaning to practice sewing.

News from Spain made me turn off the TV (stream). Shit is fucked up. I can't even describe it.
The army went into retirement homes where cases of Coronavirus had been reported. They found that the staff, in multiple places, had just fucking booked right out of there. Leaving seniors who need assistance to their own devices. Some were found dead in their beds. The chief prosecutor of Spain is apparently personally going after these.
I don't think I ever even saw anything like that in bad movies.

The healthcare workers and caretakers who go do their job, despite lacking PPE, despite taking a serious risk, they are fucking heroes. Yes, they deserve hazard pay, every last one of them, and once the crisis is over and things go back to normal, or approach a new normal, deserve several months paid vacation to decompress.
The healthcare workers and caretakers who do shit like those inhuman fucks in Spain. They should get exactly what they gave the people they should have been caring for.
Spending the rest of their life in a small room, unable to get out, unable to do anything. Rest. Of. Their. Lives.

red

Post by red » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:25 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 am
The healthcare workers and caretakers who do shit like those inhuman fucks in Spain. They should get exactly what they gave the people they should have been caring for.
Spending the rest of their life in a small room, unable to get out, unable to do anything. Rest. Of. Their. Lives.
Agreed.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm

That's fucking brutal, just absolutely abhorrent.

On a brighter note, I am fully established in my little RV now. Tonight will be my first night officially sleeping in here, which is already feeling a bit odd. It also feels like the beginning of an adventure, so I am going to focus on that. I hope and pray that my redneck-engineered fix on the leaking skylight will hold because I put a brand new mattress in there (the old one was naturally ruined by the leak) and while it "relieves" itself from being vacuum packed and shipped to me, I will sleep on one of the couches tonight. I even cooked a full dinner in here and stocked the larder with some vittles for the next few days so all in all it is feeling a little like home. If I don't report back in tomorrow, just assume that the spiders got me since they've been living in here a lot longer than I have.
-Davros

xtian

Post by xtian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:58 am

power went off this morning around 6am. no computer, no internet, no lights with shutters down, no heat, no warm water, no cooking, how long before my frozen pizzas go back to wild life ? caused a brief moment of panic. It's back on. We're supposed to hit the peak of the pandemic these next days.

Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem
Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Post by Bo_9 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:43 am

Company I work for has been forced to close a location, so dealing with modifying workflows to move that work to our location. My crew is at home with weekly runs to the grocery store. The county has closed dining rooms and bars at all restaurants, but they can deliver and do carry-out still. That order just went into effect yesterday, although all of the local establishments were already operating like that anyway. AND THERE IS FINALLY TOILET PAPER IN THE STORE.
I also find it hard to believe that the tests are so precious that we can't just test anyone with any symptom, on-demand. My thought is that the "powers that be" are using testing restrictions to try to keep the numbers low. When testing is widely available the US numbers will explode.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:35 pm

My life is the same as before.
Apparently, I am an Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker. That's what it says on the paper they gave me to show any cop who pulls me over on my way to work. We make phone and power poles and railroad ties so we do both transportation and utility stuff.
I am not social, I never go out to eat or drink. At work I am mainly by myself all day.
Pretty much all is the same, but not really.
I listen to the news and am horrified at what is happening.
Every day I browse a lot of different websites for information, news and entertainment.

But this one is different. I have met some of you, and I listen to you tell me stuff about anything you are currently
going on about.

I have gone to a funeral of one of you in person. Other funerals in my mind, but with you all never the less.
So, like it or not, you all are my friends. I feel closer to you than I do with many I meet in person.

With all of the stuff going on now I want to tell all of you that I am thinking of you, worrying about you, and wishing all of you the very best of luck!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

red

Post by red » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 pm

Pintgudge wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:35 pm
But this one is different. I have met some of you, and I listen to you tell me stuff about anything you are currently
going on about.

I have gone to a funeral of one of you in person. Other funerals in my mind, but with you all never the less.
So, like it or not, you all are my friends. I feel closer to you than I do with many I meet in person.

With all of the stuff going on now I want to tell all of you that I am thinking of you, worrying about you, and wishing all of you the very best of luck!
Same. I've tried to explain this to some people and they never really seem to grasp it.

It's interesting that you have travel documents. My FB feed has show some people claiming these are needed for my area but yet, no one has produced one. On the radio today, the Gov even stated these don't exist here. I"m assuming it's a printed letter from your work, then you show your work ID if stopped?

In good news, my wife is starting to feel better, which means no test for her and work said no test for me. I'm starting to agree with the mindset that Bo_9 mentioned where testing is limited to skew numbers. If other countries can roll out mass testing, why can't we? No politicians holding shares in those companies?

I hear people starting to say that we're doing great and we'll be back to normal. Sorry Charlie, this is just the beginning. The COVID-19 Triage call center I built has expanded from 5 agents to nearing 80 at the last target number. In happier news, I did find toilet paper as well! Looks like the rationing signs are working.

Stay safe out there.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

xtian

Post by xtian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 pm

(same here.) Do you think that even if a massive testing was physically possible, people would be inclined to submit in the current atmosphere of division and suspicion ? I'd give it a couple of hours before some new conspiracy would expose it as government manipulation or poisoning.
as this morning, USA has the greatest number of contamination, more than china. Some idiot telling that churches should be packed with people for easter should be judged as a terrorist. or at least a solid idiot. I'd hate this threat to turn into the journal of doom.

red

Post by red » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:55 am

xtian wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 pm
(same here.) Do you think that even if a massive testing was physically possible, people would be inclined to submit in the current atmosphere of division and suspicion ? I'd give it a couple of hours before some new conspiracy would expose it as government manipulation or poisoning.
as this morning, USA has the greatest number of contamination, more than china. Some idiot telling that churches should be packed with people for easter should be judged as a terrorist. or at least a solid idiot. I'd hate this threat to turn into the journal of doom.
Honestly, with how many people I see out and about when I've been heading out for work or essentials, I don't think those that are sheltering in place are going to make much of a difference. The genie is out of the bottle here in the ol' USofA. What I can't wrap my mind around (maybe I've said this already) is that most of the people who are itching to get back to real life and/or think the virus is no big deal are those that are the most susceptible.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:23 am

red wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:55 am
Honestly, with how many people I see out and about when I've been heading out for work or essentials, I don't think those that are sheltering in place are going to make much of a difference. The genie is out of the bottle here in the ol' USofA. What I can't wrap my mind around (maybe I've said this already) is that most of the people who are itching to get back to real life and/or think the virus is no big deal are those that are the most susceptible.
yeah, it's kinda nuts. my company is apparently considered "essential", but we're all still working from home unless we have an absolute immediate need for testing facilities to complete our current work. they've even turned off a/c in the building outside of test labs to dissuade us from coming in unless we absolutely have to.

I was talking to my mom (on the phone) a couple of nights ago and found out both my grandmother and her sister (my great-aunt) are still going out because they don't think it's a big deal. Sounds like their biggest annoyance is that they can't get their hair done because their salon is closed. Both these ladies are in their 80's now. Same with my elderly neighbor across the street. My wife spoke with her a couple of days ago (at a safe distance) while they were out checking mail (both our mailboxes are on our side of the street) asking if she needed us to make grocery trips for her or anything. Nope, she's still going out a few times a week to do her grocery shopping and go to church. :/ Apparently not changing her habits at all. I can't believe any churches are even still open for gatherings (as opposed to just going online). All of the churches my wife plays for have gone solely to online streaming.

I don't get it. I've left the neighborhood (anything more than walking distance) three times in the past 2 weeks... twice to go get gas at an automated pump (yard work) and once was just driving around (stayed in my car the entire time, this was before they decided on the mandatory stay-at-home order). I'm not particularly enjoying this, but don't see any reason to risk it. My wife and I are still taking walks around the neighborhood with the kids to get them out for exercise and it's at least nice to see other neighbors out for a walk all keeping at least the width of the road distance from each other while out and about.

Before you yell at me too much, this neighborhood is kind of a weird rural island in the fourth-largest US city. Mostly 1+ acre lots, almost half of which have been bought-out by the county and cleared following the Harvey flooding in 2017. actually had a neighbor walking their horse down our street yesterday.

We've been having a lot of "get-togethers" over the zoom app recently. I hadn't ever used it before, but it is kinda cool for group video chats. My boys are still doing guitar lessons with their teacher over the app, my younger boy had a full-class meet up on it, and we've been meeting with a couple of our "community groups" from church on it. Albeit not quite as nice as meeting up in person, it does provide an adequate level of interaction without any of us leaving our house.

I think this quarantine has been hardest on my wife though. As a musician that relies on social gatherings, this basically has her unemployed. She's still been able to do some "studio" recording, but is getting a little stir-crazy as she's been without a significant amount of work for a month or so now. She does have at least one friend our age (mid-30's) that was just hospitalized due to this virus though, so the potential severity of it even on people our age is not lost on us.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 am

Hope y'all are being safe.
The main thoroughfare beneath my window is quieter than it usually is on a weekday. But busier today than it was yesterday.

My flu-like symptoms have once again gone away, so fuck if I know what that was. Self-quarantine isn't such a big deal if, like me, you're already chronically ill and don't work.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:56 am

Last year, I built The Beast.
Since, I've done some gaming and, ever, could have some HD video running besides, and all kinds of other applications. No problem, that's what a 64 thread CPU is for.

Until I started running Folding@Home.
It's the first app that makes my CPU run into thermal throttling. I had to manually dial all the system and case fans to 100% just to get the temp below 60°C. While I'm sure that, in other use, it had probably never gone north of 50°C previously. Dang.
I've got my headphones on and am listening to a podcast. And the fan noise is actually annoying me as I do that.

Well, it's for a good cause.
Will have to dial that back around 10 PM, though. My neighbors won't like the sound of I don't even recall how many fans (I wanna say 14, but I forget).

EDIT: and it's above 60°C again.

EDIT some more:
I just looked at my stats. In 12 days, I've folded 65 work units, for a combined score of 583,341 points. I've climbed from noob to rank 125,118 of 2,392,474. Not yet in the top 5th percentile. But I've outfolded ~94.77% of all contributors.
Why, yes, I'm totally showboating, how nice of you to notice! :mrgreen:

boz
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by boz » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:30 pm

Fun fact: I seem to be turning the corner after ~10 days of battle with what my telemed doctor said is probably COVID.

Feel free to ask about symptoms, experiences, etc. There's an incredibly succinct way to describe life with COVID as a usually healthy 30-something: Miserable, but ok.

Todays marks my 3rd day recording temperatures under 100*F and the first day I really felt like I wasn't stuck in some shitty shell of myself in over a week. Fuck this virus. It's damn unpleasant.
| | || ||
Earn your beer.
Aught aught Zrex Zelda.

jae
Magnum Jihad

Post by jae » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:34 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 am
Hope y'all are being safe...
doing our best here. looks like we're in for another 4 weeks of "winter" in these parts, from what I'm hearing.

We're keeping a respectable distance when we must go out and disinfecting with appropriate chemicals when we must come in contact with others.

My biggest personal concern recently is that our local convenience store is no longer stocking my cheap beer of choice. I've had to switch to PBR based on my budget. Not the best in the worst of times, nor the worst in the best of times. Even the local supermarkets seem to be keeping up demand now on many items that were previously out of stock. I have started to wonder though, if this goes more than a month, if my pharmacy will still be stocking my daily (generic) prescription given what I've been reading.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.

guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

Post by guitargeek » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:30 pm

Social isolation is *where I live*, so this is just business as usual for me so far.
FB_IMG_15607981145435388.jpg
IMG_20200319_225440_962.jpg
IMG_20200319_225440_961.jpg
FB_IMG_1583490491825.jpg
MRE-Star-open.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Plague Journal Day 16

I’ve been really remiss in writing this. I’ve struggled with mustering enough Give A Shit to sit down and put thoughts to paper. Watching everything devolve into finger pointing and nonsense is really distressing.

Know what’s more distressing? Having heart-to-heart convos with trusted friends about where we’ll go in case the Excrement Hits the Oscillator in a real way. There’s one house – a friend of mine who lives within 5 minutes walking distance – where we’ve generally agreed is the most defensible. It’s not perfect but it’s better than here. He has better fields of fire.

I’ve broached this with a few mutual friends. We all generally agree it’s the correct thing to do. Nobody has said “you’re a loony for suggesting such a thing!” The fact that it all seems reasonable is enough to make me extremely sad.

In brighter news, I’ve connected with other Ootmics and friends via other means (not FB), which makes me very happy. It’s good for me to remind myself that all of you (well, most of you, presumably) are Real People. I live in my office-cave far too much to start with, and I forget sometimes that y’all have your own spouses, families, etc. I want very much to connect with real fucking humans, not just letters on the screen.

Today is Day 16 for the Jägerhaus in isolation. We’ve done pretty well – I’ve done 2 trips to the store in the interim. We’re hoping to do at least another week until we need to hit the store. Virginia today announced the “stay at home” order, decreeing that groups of 10 people or more will be penalized as a Class 1 Misdemeanor. Considering how poorly some of my neighbors have taken all this, I’m slightly comforted – the sooner people take this shit seriously, the sooner we hopefully get to go on with our lives.

We took the Jägerkinder out for a drive yesterday just to GTFO. The local big park was full of cars, so we wandered around for a little bit and found a small cemetery to wander around. A fellow whose yard adjoined the cemetery talked to us over his fence. He seems to think this is some sort of extinction-level event. I think (hope) he’s being paranoid.

All that said, we’ve been having some amount of fun with the Jägerkinder. It’s almost Little House on the Fucking Prairie. We go for nature walks, and I get to let Spud and Yam climb into the drainage ditches and embankments that they’d otherwise think were off limits. As I said to both of them, “Listen, if I say it’s OK and the cops don’t yell at us then it’s fine, screw everybody else.”

Our local privately owned zoo is in trouble. We stopped by there yesterday to drop off a bag of cat food our finicky cat won’t fucking eat. I generally disapprove of this zoo – they have a shit history of abusing their animals and generally being kind’ve sketchy – but the critters there can’t help their lack of resources. Besides, if I need to find meat in a few weeks hopefully the critters there will be that much more well fed (and I won’t need to eat catfood).

We’re teaching ourselves how to bake bread. Just this evening I was with the kiddos working on basic chapatti bread – we halved the recipe, and I made the Jägerkinder do the math cutting it in half.

I’m not bored yet. I keep hearing about people complaining of boredom, but goddammit I would LOVE to be bored. Instead I feel torn into multiple pieces trying to both manage the kiddos while making dollars to keep the enterprise afloat. Thankfully Mrs. Jaeger has steadier work than I do, but at the moment I’m waiting for a particular contract to come through. If it doesn’t, we’re going to be in a world of fuckin’ hurt financially.

Right now the dinner (butter chicken, lentils, home-made nan) smells good down here, though. It’s weird considering how dire so many things are versus how “good” they are locally. I/we aren’t hungry and that’s not my primary concern – yet. It’s certainly a possibility, but we have a way to go until then. If I/we are worried about being hungry there will be Much Bigger Problems. That’ll be the point where my Stockpile of Hate will become more pertinent.

It’s interesting to think this is something our children will remember for the rest of their lives, the same way my folks -- both of whom were born in 1939 -- remember doing nuclear-strike drills and hiding under their desks. I don’t think I or GenX have anything similar. We remember the Challenger explosion but nothing quite on the level of this. For all the shit we (rightfully) claim was wrong with our childhood, we had it pretty good. In fact, I wouldn’t trade my childhood with any generation. We had the benefits of most of modern medicine and the freedom of the ‘50s and ‘60s. As I’ve told M’s cousins’ children, “You poor fucks, your parents put a tracking chip in you when you were born. When I left my parent’s house, they didn’t know where I was or with whom, just so long as I was back by 11pm.”

Also, the US surpassed everybody in terms of reported cases today. I’ve talked to DerG about this, I’m curious to know what the real numbers are – I’m guessing folks like China and Russia are suppressing their numbers. No doubt that we’re ill suited to deal with something like this – that requires everyone to pitch in and a coordinated effort – but it seems unlikely we’d surpass China quite so quickly given we’re smaller and have a lower population density.

Doesn’t matter much in the long run for us. A bunch of people are going to die. Jackass admitted in the past 24 hours or so the predictions are north of 200k. Considering some of my fuckwit neighbors were out playing in the cul-de-sac and handing out cookies, I’m not surprised. We’re too goddamn selfish as a nation and a culture to really address this until it gets Ugly.

Time to go eat dinner. I’ll try to be better about writing. There are a bunch of you I’ve read and want to write directly (PG, BSH, GG) but I’m just too distracted and have insufficient time.

Eyes up and heads down, mawfuggahs. This looks like it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:23 pm

For my own journal entry:
Today is #6 living in a 26' travel trailer. Every bit of 200 square feet of luxury, but I'm getting by. Wife and family are still safely ensconced in Florida and as luck would have it, were still able to get to the beach for Spring Break so bully for them (they did no such thing because they are not fuckwits). As for me, having a 7.5 cuft fridge and basically no pantry space means that as much as I hate to do it, I have to hit the grocery store about once every three days. I've done my best to focus on staple foods, eating 3-500 calorie meals and trying to get a little workout in here even if nothing more than a couple dozen pushups and planks. Also of note, construction is not an essential industry BUT we remain at work because given the spaciousness of construction sites we can continue to social distance while working. Sure Jan, try that when we are hanging drywall. I am kind of hoping the governor of TN issues a stay-at-home order because my ass would be on the 1st interstate out of town to get home to my family. Not an option yet, but fingers crossed. I will say that in my trips to the store and out for work, most everyone here is taking the 6' distance thing pretty seriously so there is something to be said for southern charm in Tennessee. That being said, times like this make me wonder if maybe just maybe it would have been worth my while to invest in a boomstick just in case. Another reason why I am getting a little more exercise, I might have to get good with a pointy stick if it comes to it.
Overall I can't complain too much. I'm safe and dry and my family is the same, even though we are 800 miles apart.
-Davros